The Southeast Asian Press Alliance is the only regional organization with the specific mandate of promoting and protecting press freedom in Southeast Asia. Established as a nonprofit organization in November 1998, the alliance works to unite independent journalists’ and press-related organizations in the region into a force for free expression advocacy and mutual protection.
SEAPA’s vision is for a Southeast Asian region where free expression and an independent and responsible press promote information and knowledge societies with transparency and pluralism as the norm.
SEAPA’s mission is to:
- promote and nurture an environment of free expression in Southeast Asia;
- encourage civil participation in the promotion and protection of press freedom;
- foster and promote and enabling environment for a free, responsible and independent press;
- build capacities of independent and pluralistic press organizations and professional competencies of individuals; and promote greater access to information and good governance.
SEAPA’s Board of Trustees is composed of representatives from the alliance’s Founding Members, namely:
- The Thai Journalists Association
- The Institute for Studies on Free Flow of Information (Indonesia)
- The Alliance of Independent Journalists (Indonesia)
- The Center for Media Freedom and Responsibility (Philippines)
- The Philippine Center for Investigative Journalism
SEAPA is duly registered in Manila as a regional nongovernment organization. It has offices in Manila and its main secretariat operates out of Bangkok.
2nd Floor TJA Building 538/1 Samsen Road,
Dusit, Bangkok 10300 Thailand
Tel. +662-2435579 / Fax +662-2448749